June 5–9, 2017
HILT is a 5-day training institute that includes keynotes, ignite talks, and local cultural heritage excursions for researchers, students, early career scholars and cultural heritage professionals who seek to learn more about Digital Humanities theory, practice, and culture. In addition to the conference’s day-time sessions, participants can enjoy opportunities to explore the city through local dining and special events.
We are pleased to welcome 126 participants to HILT for our 5th anniversary year! Participants and instructors will gather in Austin, Texas on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin.
Welcome to HILT 2017! We are delighted you will be joining June 5-9 at the University of Texas at Austin.
On Monday morning, we will kick off our week at the Glickman Conference Center (116 Inner Campus Drive) for Breakfast, Registration, and a Welcome session. The day kicks off at 7:45am. View the full daily schedule here.
Prior to your arrival, we ask that you complete a few steps:
- Read and review our HILT 2017 Welcome Packet. Please read through this document in advance of your arrival. It contains all of the information you might need for your stay with us, including room locations, welcome statement, statement of values, FAQ, and information on WiFi, parking, dormitory housing, and other useful details.
- Review your course page. Some instructors have elected to assign readings, provide pre-workshop exercises, and/or links to software installations. Please consult your course pages for up to date information. All questions regarding workshop preparation can be directed to your instructors.
- Black Publics in the Humanities: Critical and Collaborative DH Projects
- Collaboration for Complex Research: Crowdsourcing in the Humanities
- Getting Started with Data, Tools, and Platforms
- Help! I’m a Humanist! — Programming for Humanists with Python
- Humanities Research with Sound: Introduction to Audio Machine Learning
- Introduction to the Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) for Historical Documents
- Text Analysis
- Working with Scalar
Unless otherwise notified, BRING A LAPTOP. Be sure you have permissions to download programs and install software on the laptop that you bring.
Follow our Twitter @HILT_DH for more updates. Thank you for being part of HILT 2017!
– HILT 2017 Organizers